The holy establishment is situated at a distance of twenty two kilometers from the town of Targu-Neamt, standing in a Sub Carpathian Valley, on a location that was formerly called “Atanasie’s Meadow”. The monastery derives its name from the name of an anchorite who constructed a skete around which there were living several other anchorites.
The founder of the monastery was Ghedeon, Bishop of Husi, who completed the construction of church (which was built of wood), a group of monastic cells and a belfry in 1655. In 1734 Ghedeon had a bigger church erected and placed it under the direction of the Secu Monastery.
The Church of the Birth of the Holy Virgin is surrounded by the monastic buildings and the peaceful compound of Sihastria. Besides the 19th century Church of the Birth of the Holy Virgin, there is a much larger church in the compound. This is the Cathedral of St. Theodora, built in 1998. The cathedral has an open exonarthex with gilded icons on the façade, and three towers.
And the location of the place:
About this entry
You’re currently reading “Sihastria Monastery,” an entry on the panoblogus
- 05.16.07 / 8pm
- Monasteries of Moldavia
- 360 Romania, handheld, historical_monuments, moldavia, monastery, neamt_county, sihastria, stefan_cel_mare
- 14% [?]